Sunday, November 26, 2017

REVIEW: Equestria Girls Classic Style Sunset Shimmer

In September, we first saw the photo of the new Equestria Girls dolls.

To be completely honest, I wasn't wowed. I thought it odd that they decided to bring the doll line back with less articulation. Not all the original line was articulated, but to compete with some of the still-popular-even-though-they're-dying brands, you might want to consider articulation.

Granted, the clothing looked nice and I liked the sass face on some of the girls (Sunset Shimmer, Rainbow Dash, Applejack). Their faces actually portray their characters better than the first line did. Fluttershy looks gentle, Pinkie's got her grin, etc.

Back of the box. Not that interesting.
As time passed and new doll drought went on, I found myself getting more excited for these girls. I sold off almost all of my original Equestria Girls, planning on getting these and starting fresh. (I think I only kept Zecora, the Dazzlings, Roseluck, Sugarcoat and Indigo Zap.) From the fully plastic figure line, I only kept Sunset Shimmer and Adagio Dazzle (one of the Dazzlings, who I adore).

On November 22nd, someone found Sunset Shimmer in Toys R Us. The next day, she appeared for order on the website. I ordered one and totally overspent on shipping to get her here before I leave for vacation.

Today, Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy and Applejack joined Sunset on TRU.com, but it's too late for me to order more. I did notice while on the site that it now said my store had Sunset. So what did I do? You know what I did.


Yep, despite having her arriving on Tuesday, I ran over there and bought one so I could review her tonight! They only had her, but they got her in pretty fast, so I'm hoping they'll have the other 3 by the end of the week. I can't really afford all 6 of the others right now, so I don't mind waiting for the other case to come in. But I'd love Twilight to join Sunset and go on vacation with me. Maybe Fluttershy and AJ, too.

There were, I believe, six Sunsets hanging from a peg in the MLP section. She is in her own case. The first group case assortment is likely the other three I mentioned: Twilight, Fluttershy and Applejack. Then the second group assortment would be Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

The price for these girls? Well, that's a HUGE selling point for me. It's only $9.99! The same price as a LOL Surprise ball for an articulated, fully fabric-clothed, rooted-hair doll.


It's an excellent price. I'm so pleased. It's also rather surprising, because this is Hasbro, the makers of the $14.99 basic Descendants, which don't even have the elbow articulation.

Sunset's hair is really silky and nice. No crappy nylon here. It's better than the hair on the older Equestria Girls I still have. There's a braid down the right side and I left the shorter bangs on the left tied down. I don't want them to block her expression, which is awesome. I adore a good sass face.

She has light pink fading to darker pink eyeshadow and a melony pink lipstick that almost matches her skirt.


Sunset's orange T-shirt has her cutie mark on it in glitter. The shirt is slightly off the shoulder. It is sewn to a black, faux leather vest. It's all one piece, but it's a very nicely-detailed piece. The skirt is dark pink and has that strap inside to keep it in place. Her black rubber belt is separate and she has three black rubber bracelets, too. And her boots have a lot of great spikes and details, like flames molded on the heels.

Now bear in mind, this outfit comes on a $9.99 doll. It is multiple pieces, not a single dress with print only on the front. There are actual multiple accessories, too!


The new dolls tower over the old ones. TRU's website describes them as 11 inches, which is probably right if you count the ears.

Sunset does have limited articulation. She's got the standard points: neck, shoulders and hips, plus the elbows. Her arm range is decent, but she can't put her hand on her hip. How I've got it here to the right is as close as she gets. Her leg range is quite limited though. She can only move her legs forward and out to the sides. The molding of the butt is so that they can't go back. It's an odd decision, but eh, $9.99. I still can't complain.


Body-wise, she's way thicker than an MH or EAH doll. She doesn't have the curves of the Descendants, though she does have the wider shoulders and upper body like them. She just doesn't nip in so much at the waist and her boobs are smaller.

I'm not sure if we'll see more articulated versions of these girls or not. This first line is called "Classic Style," so I'm certain we'll get more in new outfits, but I could also see a deluxe line with increased articulation.

Sunset's arms did not pop out for redressing, but it wasn't difficult, even with her separate fingers.








So what can she wear?

Ally's dress works pretty well on her, though the top is a bit loose. A lot of Descendants pieces would likely work.










Back to School Holly's dress surprisingly fit quite well! It is a little bit looser on top than some EAH pieces though, so EAH and MH would be on a piece by piece basis.







Despite the longer legs and more muscular bodies, DC Superhero Girls Starfire's Masquerade dress looks really awesome on Sunset! The top is a little loose, but not bad at all. I don't think a lot of DCSG stuff would work, but some pieces would.

So what about shoes?

I grabbed the right foot on all these, before realized that was stupid, so yeah, she's got two right shoes on here. But it still shows the point well enough!





Here on the left are shoes from the original Equestria Girls line. They actually had wider feet than these new versions, despite being a lot shorter.

Anything open-toed will be loose, but Sugarcoat boot fits pretty well on Sunset.






Descendants is the same: boots are a yes, shoes not so much. They're a bit too wide.







Monster High and Ever After High are both a good fit.





Holly had better watch it, because Sunset loves these boots!

So those are all the pics I took. If there's something else you want to see, please let me know.

I think these dolls are surprisingly awesome. Like I said before, I was not initially wowed, but they did grow on me, because I think they capture the animation quite well. They're more attractive than the original line, face-wise. Add to that good hair and nicely-detailed outfit pieces,  plus a fabulousy low price and I am impressed!

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment